Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Really, at my age

On Monday after noon I started to not feel so well. My throat was starting to hurt when I swallowed, but only on the left side.

A few hours later and my left ear was beginning to hurt too.

I knew from years of experience with my oldest not to mess around when ears and throats start to hurt.

I called my doctor first thing Tuesday morning. And luckily, the could fit me in at 1:45. Now if I could just old on till then. (Bring out the Advil and take 4 at time.)

When I arrived at the doctors office, my total office wait time was 15 minutes. I know, right! I just love my doctor's office.

First I see the nurses assistant, you know the one who makes you get on the scale and confirms only what you already knew. That you have done nothing but gain weight since Halloween.

Next I see the nurse, who checks my eyes, ears, (they should have been checked first, but who am I) and then checks my breathing.

Finally the doctor comes in and looks at the notes his nurse took, confirms I have an ear infection, and writes out a prescription and tells the nurses assistant to give me a steroid shot. Thank, Amen, Hallelujah!

Nice to know that at my age I am not immune to things like ear infections. Oh the joy of one. I have never had one. I remember R1 getting one an his ear puffed out on the side and turned red. I never doubted his pain wasn't painful and I always did everything I could to ease his pain, now I have even more sympathy, since I have now experience one first hand.

So an hour later I leave the doctors office. And then another half hour and three prescriptions later I leave Walgreen's.

Have any of y'all have an ear infection? Any home remedies I should try? How long did the pain last? How long was your ear so sore you couldn't lay down on it?

I know I just threw a ton of questions at y'all, sorry. I blame it on the steroid shot, it might have affected more than just my ear.


Brooke said...

i don't recall ever having one. hope you feel better soon!

{amy} said...

Ugh! I'm so sorry! I've never had one, but Cody has. The antibiotics seemed to work pretty quickly, but I don't remember how long it took ~ a couple of days max. I hope you get to feeling better SOON!

Laura Marchant said...

I'm afraid to tell you I haven't because then I am probably guaranteed to get one!